About Read For Pixels
1. What is Read For Pixels?
Read For Pixels is an ongoing anti-Violence Against Women campaign by The Pixel Project featuring live Google Hangout sessions with award-winning bestselling authors saying NO to violence against women by doing a live reading and Q&A session with an emphasis on discussing violence against women and women in pop culture and the media, while fundraising for the cause to end violence against women.
The campaign began with its first author Google Hangout sessions in March 2014, a fundraiser with award-winning Fantasy author Guy Gavriel Kay in May 2014, and a full Read For Pixel Google Hangout series and fundraiser in September 2014. Upcoming Read For Pixels Google Hangouts series will take place in September 2016.
2. What is a Read For Pixels Google Hangout like?
A Read For Pixels Google Hangout session is a relaxed live interactive online event broadcast on YouTube featuring an author:
- Reading an excerpt from one of their books.
- Having a short discussion with the session moderator about their books, women in popular culture/the media, and their support stopping violence against women.
- Having a a live Q&A session with fans and viewers.
Our Read For Pixels team of moderators is a lively mix of book-loving Pixel Project team members, journalists, and popular Booktubers.
3. Who are the authors taking part in Read For Pixels?
Our upcoming Fall Edition in September 2017 will feature Adrian Tchaikovsky, Alafair Burke, Genevieve Valentine, Ilona Andrews, Isaac Marion, Kass Morgan, Ken Liu, Kristen Britain, Paul Tremblay, Sara Raasch, Soman Chainani, and Vicki Pettersson.
Learn more about current/upcoming Read For Pixels authors here.
Read For Pixels alumni include Aliette de Bodard, Andrea Cremer, Alexandra Monir, Alexandra Sokoloff, Alyson Noel, Charlaine Harris, Christina Lauren, Christopher Golden, Chuck Wendig, Cinda Williams Chima, Claudia Gray, Colleen Houck, Colleen Gleason, Cornelia Funke, Dan Wells, Darynda Jones, Delilah S. Dawson, Diane Chamberlain, Ellen Hopkins,Elizabeth Bear, Gregg Hurwitz, Guy Gavriel Kay, Isaac Marion, Jacqueline Carey, Jane Green, Jasper Fforde, Jaye Wells, Jennifer L. Armentrout, Jim C. Hines, Joe Hill, Jonathan Maberry, Josephine Angelini, Kami Garcia, Karen Chance, Karen Marie Moning, Karen Rose, Kate Elliott, Kelley Armstrong, Kendare Blake, Keri Arthur, Kevin Hearne, Kimberly Derting, Kristin Cast, Laini Taylor, Lauren Beukes, Laurie R. King, Lee Child, Leigh Bardugo, Lois McMaster Bujold, Martha Wells, Martina Boone, Max Gladstone, Meg Cabot, Michelle Hodkin, Michelle Sagara, Nalini Singh, P.C. Cast, Rachel Vincent, Rick Yancey, Robert J. Sawyer, Sarah J. Maas, Scott Sigler, Seanan McGuire, Shannon Mayer, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Steven Erikson, Susan Dennard, Tad Williams, Tami Hoag, Tamora Pierce, Tessa Gratton V.E. Schwab, Veronica Rossi, and Yasmine Galenorn.
Learn more about them via our Read For Pixels Author Alumni page here.
4. Where can I find out when my favourite author’s Google Hangout session is held?
Please check our Read For Pixels Google Hangout schedule here:
5. How can I take part in the live Q&A session with the author?
First, log into your Gmail or YouTube account*. The go directly to the YouTube event page to watch the Google Hangout live. The Q&A chatbox (to the right of your screen) will be open and live once the Google Hangout begins broadcasting and you can type in your question for the author. The moderator will read out selected questions for the author to answer during the Q&A segment of the session.
*If you have a Gmail account, then you will automatically have a YouTube account.
6. Is it possible for me to join the Google Hangout session with the author?
This varies from author to author and the chance to join the Google Hangout session as another guest may be available as a perk for donors. However, you can ask the author questions by typing it into the Q&A chatbox to the right of the YouTube screen.
7. What if I miss the Google Hangout session? Will there be a recording of the session for latecomers to watch?
Yes, all Google Hangout sessions will be streamed to YouTube where it will be automatically recorded.
Exclusive Author Goodies and Perks
1. How does the Read For Pixels fundraiser work?
Read For Pixels fundraiser usually run for 4 – 6 weeks in tandem with the Google Hangout series and encourages fans, book lovers, and supporters to donate to the Celebrity Male Role Model Pixel Reveal campaign which aims to raise US$1 million for the anti-Violence Against Women cause. Each dollar donated will reveal 1 pixel of the hidden 1-million pixel Celebrity Male Role Models collage, so each donation amount will trigger the reveal of the corresponding number pixels in the collage. For example: $10 will reveal 10 pixels.
The author goodies will be given away to donors as “Thank You” gifts and perks in appreciation for their donation and support for the cause.
There will be dedicated Read For Pixels fundraising pages through which fans, book lovers, and supporters can donate to the Pixel Reveal campaign.
2. What are the exclusive goodies donated by the authors?
The goodies vary from author to author and from fundraiser to fundraiser and the selection may include:
- 30-minute 1-to-1 Skype chat sessions with individual fans or bookclubs.
- Handwritten short stories, flash fiction, poems, and haikus.
- An opportunity to become a minor character (or have one named after a donor) in an author’s next book.
- A one-off written critique session for submitted work of up to 1,000 words or a query letter.
- Signed first editions/special/advance editions of participating authors’ books.
- Drabbles (100-word stories) and longer short stories written especially for Read For Pixels.
- Special Read For Pixels packs from participating authors.
3. Who is eligible for donor “thank you” gifts/perks?
- All Skype chats, stories, and other intangible goodies are open to donors worldwide.
- For signed books and handwritten postcards, authors have stipulated whether they will ship worldwide or to U.S. donors only as the books and postcards will come directly from the authors themselves. Please check the Indiegogo fundraising page for details when it goes live.
- All e-receipts are tax-deductible for U.S. residents and citizens only.
4. Why are some of the author goodies only available to U.S. donors or donors from specific countries?
Read For Pixels authors and participating publishers who are donating books and other tangible goodies are kindly shipping those goodies directly to donors. Some authors and publishers have specified that they will only ship signed books and handwritten postcards within the U.S. or other designated countries.
Before you donate, be sure to read the details on the fundraising page to find out if you are eligible for a particular item.
Donations and Fundraising
1. Who are the beneficiaries of the funds raised and how will the funds be used?
Starting from 2017, funds raised go towards the Celebrity Male Role Model Pixel Reveal campaign to raise US$1 million in support of The Pixel Project. The Pixel Project is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organisation working to end violence against women.
For a complete breakdown of what the funds will be used for, visit: http://reveal.thepixelproject.net/the-campaign/project-breakdowns/
2. How can I donate to the Read For Pixels fundraisers?
Every Read For Pixels Google Hangout campaign will be accompanied by an online fundraising page.
- You can donate via the “Read For Pixels” Razoo fundraising page using any major credit card or via PayPal.
- You can donate via the “Read For Pixels” RallyUp fundraising page using a major credit card only.
These payment options are stipulated by Razoo and RallyUp.
3. Can I make more than one donation to either “Read For Pixels” fundraising page?
Yes, you can make more than one donation to either the “Read For Pixels” Razoo or RallyUp fundraising page.
Please note that for the RallyUp fundraising page, the donor perks are linked to set donation amounts and many perks are one-of-a-kind. Therefore, once a perk has been claimed by another donor, it will no longer be available. For the perks on Indiegogo, please make separate donations for each perk.
3. I have made my donation but have not received an e-receipt from Razoo or Stripe (RallyUp’s nonprofit donation processor). What’s happened?
There are 2 possibilities:
- Please check your spam folder. Your e-receipt is likely to be in there.
- You have accidentally typed in an invalid email address.
If neither applies, then take the following steps:
(A) Razoo donations
There are two easy ways to obtain a duplicate receipt from Razoo. You can view your giving history and receipts by logging into your Razoo account, or request a duplicate receipt by emailing email@example.com – please include your full name, date of donation, amount of donation, and mention that you donated to the Celebrity Male Role Model Pixel Reveal campaign.
(B) RallyUp donations
If you are a U.S. resident and have not received an e-receipt confirming the tax-deductible status of your donation from Stripe (RallyUp’s nonprofit payment processor), please contact us at info [at] thepixelproject [dot] net and we will issue you a tax-deductible receipt.
4. I don’t have a credit card or PayPal. Can I make a donation by check?
This is an online crowdfunding charity fundraiser which triggers the reveal of pixels to help reveal the mystery Celebrity Male Role Models, so we are solely focused on online fundraising and will not take checks unless they are a major donation.
5. I have more questions about donating via Razoo. Where can I learn more about this?
For further details for individual donors donating via Razoo, please visit: http://www.razoo.com/p/faqs_individuals
6. I have more questions about donating via RallyUp Where can I learn more about this?
For further details for individual donors donating via RallyUp, please visit: http://www.rallyup.com.
7. How can I claim my perk?
(A) For Razoo Donations
There are no perks for Razoo donations unless specified for a specific Read For Pixels campaign.
(B) For RallyUp Donations
All RallyUp donors will have arrangements for their shipping or scheduling their perks within 2 months (60 days) of the end of the fundraising period.
The Pixel Project team will facilitate the connection between donors and the authors or their representatives.
The authors or their representatives will then make arrangements directly with the donor or via The Pixel Project regarding mailing the books/postcards, setting up a time and date for the Skype chat etc.